Saturday, December 27, 2008

Getting out and about











What's new? Well the fun has started. I'm playing a different role than when I was a kid. Back in the day, my brothers and I had this down to a science. Pack a lunch, get gas, and go cause time is a wasting. Now sharing the ride with little girls and a wife that don't have boating experience does tend to slow me down. That's OK.
In time I'll get to the before and afters of the restoration. I'm still dealing with some issues left over from the "Walter Brown Experience". Walter is a great guy, and I learned alot from him, both good and bad. This has certainly been educational, but I pay'd dearly for a mistake that I thought I took the necessary measures to prevent. Lesson learned... unless you share the same goal, hiring help is risky. My goal was reasonable perfection at a fair cost. His goal was work fast in moments of slow business. Unfortunately this means taking short cuts, rough work, and still takes longer than it should. Live and learn. The next boat project I'll save money buying all the tools I need that don't already have, and doing all work myself. Tragically, I will have to one day tear this one down again to fix a cosmetic flaw that I just can't accept, and otherwise built to last forever.

4 comments:

  1. Where did the name Go Girl come from? My dad was in the marine business at the time the Bond movie came out and he sold a 150 to a neighbor at the lake, that boat was christened Go Girl and the lake development we are in is GoLad. The real intersting part was the neighbor wanted more power to play around with another neighbor who had a Jolly Roger so he put a 115 on it (boat was only rated to, I think, a 95 horse which Evenrude didn't produce so they took a 115 and put a 85 cover on it. At that time they also put a rubber boot around the engine/transom to keep water from coming in when he did a hole shot. Was a very fun boat, I remember many days of skiing behind it and messing around in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cayuse,

    "Go Girl" was lettered on both sides of this boat when we picked it up in 1984. Even then the letters then were faded but visible. Now you can barely see them, and you have to know where to look. We picked up this boat from a guy Gig Harbor WA, and he was not the origonal owner. Who knows, maybe this is the same boat. Don't know anything about a rubber boot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could easily be the same boat since the one I was referencing was originally on Pend Oreille in N. Idaho. The original owner had a place at Oak harbor so it is possible he sold it over there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember the children will become the teachers.

    Show them the ropes and teach them to watch out for the dangers of boating and you will find yourself rejuvenated through them.

    I was 8yrs old when given a speedboat that could push 50mph yet till this day I am the cautious and responsible one in the family.

    You got a great boat enjoy the season and make the fixes when the down time comes.

    ReplyDelete