Thursday, November 20, 2008

Initial teardown
















Just about any boat this age will have dryrot issues. Boatbuilding technology of the 70's didn't intend for these beauties to last this long. Having a desire to restore this boat, famous for the world record breaking jump, I wanted to incorporate new technology while preserving origonal mistique. As I became aquainted with Walter Brown, I discovered much that does not conform to the traditionalist, but does go lockstep with advances modern boatbuilding. The first of this was the Seacast.




















As I am not a boatbuilder by trade, I wanted to do this right. I realized that I didn't want to make an experiment with expensive materials on this boat. After some negotiating with Walter, he agreed to do the work while allowing me to do prep work, and assist in his shop saving me some money but costing me more than going it alone. First thing as directed by Walter, Gut it!

No comments:

Post a Comment